Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Leaving Boston and Flying towards Bogota

It's my last night in Boston. That alone feels pretty incredible. In the past week and a half I've said goodbye to a lot of people. I said goodbye to the people I work with, people I went to college with, an the people who wake up at absurd hours to wait in line to watch Liverpool games with me. I've said goodbye to my extended family, my immediate family and the people who have become my family.

I moved to Massachusetts when I was seven but for a very long time I always made the distinction that yes, I grew up in Massachusetts BUT I was born in Washington. Now as I'm leaving New England, and possibly never moving back here, I have a different perspective. I was born in Washington BUT I grew up in Massachusetts. Since I moved here I've never been away for more than five months when I studied abroad in London. Packing for Colombia has felt like I'm leaving home for the first time.

Instead I'm looking forward to Colombia. And towards my 7:30 flight out of Logan. I'm looking towards the next adventure and trying not to focus on the home and the wonderful people I'm leaving behind.

The great news is that I now know more about where I'm going. The five other WorldTeach volunteers and I will be split between two cities in Colombia. I will either be in Pereira or Manizales which are both located in the Colombian Eje Cafetero. Both cities are know as as eternal spring cities where the record low temperature is 50 and the record high is 87. Thy weather sounds like a dream. So for now I'm off to training until July 21st (my birthday and my wonderful parents 29th wedding anniversary) when I will head off to my teaching placement.

For inspiration I'm ending with this wonderful song that always reminds me of my friends and the inspiration that they bring to my life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment